More detailed answers to common questions can be found in the Licensing FAQ.

Does the iron ring make me an engineer?
When should I apply for my P.Eng. licence?
What are the licensing requirements?
What is the National Professional Practice Examination?
Fulfilling the Work Experience Requirements
What is the engineering intern (EIT) program?

Does the iron ring make me an engineer?

No. Upon graduation, you may call yourself an engineering graduate, not an engineer.  Only holders of a P.Eng. license are legally permitted to use the title “P.Eng.” or the term “engineer” in their job title, or to use any other term, title or description that may lead to the belief that they are authorized to practice professional engineering. An engineering education is the first step to earning your license and eventually having the right to call yourself an engineer, but you may only use the term “engineer” in your job title once you have the P.Eng. licence.

The iron ring is associated with the Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer and is administered to engineering students upon graduation at an Obligation Ceremony. PEO does not have any affiliation with the iron ring. You can find out more about the iron ring and how to obtain one by visiting


When should I apply for my P.Eng. licence?

As soon as you graduate!

Graduates of Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board-accredited engineering programs may be able to participate in PEO’s Financial Credit Program (FCP). Under the program, as of May 1, 2019, eligible participants can have the cost of their application fee and first year of enrolment in the Engineering Intern (EIT) program (should they choose to enroll—see EIT program details below) credited towards payment of their registration and initial P.Eng. licence fees once they have been approved for a licence. CEAB-graduates who apply within six months of their graduation are eligible for the program.

To prepare yourself to apply for your P.Eng. licence, please see the following checklists:


What are the licensing requirements?

Click here for an overview on how to become a professional engineer in Ontario.

To be granted a licence to practise professional engineering, the applicant must:

More detailed information is available in the PEO Licensing Guide and Application for Licence. You can also view the Licensing FAQ page.


What is the National Professional Practice Examination?

The National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE) is a 3-hour, closed-book, on-line exam on ethics, professional practice, engineering law and professional liability. Eligible applicants may write the NPPE at any time (within the time frame provided by PEO) as they acquire 48 months of engineering work experience required for licensure. To reduce the time to licensure, applicants are encouraged to write the NPPE early in the time frame provided by PEO.

The NPPE is held five times a year (February, April, June, September and November) in major centres across Canada.  For more information on the exam, please refer to the NPPE webpage on PEO’s website.


Fulfilling the Work Experience Requirements

Click here for an overview of PEO’s Engineering Work Experience Requirements.

PEO evaluates each applicant’s engineering experience against five quality-based criteria:

  • Application of theory;
  • Practical experience;
  • Management of engineering;
  • Communication skills; and
  • Awareness of the social implications of engineering

To become licensed, an applicant must demonstrate a minimum of 48 months of verifiable, acceptable engineering experience gained after completion of their undergraduate engineering degree.

There are, however, a few other ways to fulfill part of the experience requirement:

  • Pre-graduation experience: Up to 12 months of pre-graduation experience may count towards the 48 months of required experience, if it is relevant to the overall practice after graduation, and if it is obtained after the midpoint of the undergraduate engineering program.
  • Successfully receiving a postgraduate degree: Credit may be granted for the equivalent of 12 months of experience toward the 48-month requirement if the postgraduate degree (MASc, PhD, etc.) is in the same discipline as the undergraduate degree.
  • Applied research thesis work conducted within the framework of postgraduate degree requirements, if such work is sponsored or used by industry. The total of this applied research-related credit plus the 12 months’ credit related to the award of the postgraduate degree cannot exceed the total time spent to complete the postgraduate degree requirements.

In all cases, at least 12 months of the total 48 months of required experience must be in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed professional engineer. This experience must be in addition to any pre-graduation experience and/or the 12 months’ credit for successfully receiving a post-graduate degree. However, a credit related to the applied research portion of the post-graduate degree can be used to help meet the requirement for engineering work experience in a Canadian jurisdiction.


What is the engineering intern (EIT) program?

The EIT program provides guidance and assistance to engineering graduates as they acquire the 48 months of acceptable engineering work experience, including annual reviews of experience to ensure that an applicant is “on the right track” for licensing.

Benefits of the EIT program include:

  • The opportunity to receive detailed, confidential, annual work experience reviews;
  • Access to Engineering Dimensions, the association’s official journal;
  • Opportunities to attend EIT seminars at PEO’s office or through sponsoring chapters;
  • The opportunity to join a PEO chapter and attend chapter meetings;
  • Email notices of events or items of interest pertaining to your development into a licensed engineer;
  • Access to the Members’ Only section of PEO’s website and the opportunity to participate in online discussions with other PEO members through the Forum;
  • The opportunity to join the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers and participate in their member-only services, such as insurance and investment plans.

As well, becoming an EIT demonstrates to employers that an applicant is serious about being licensed as a professional engineer.

To enroll in the EIT program, you must be an applicant for licensure – meaning you have met the academic requirements of licensure (e.g. graduated from a CEAB-accredited program). You can apply as soon as you graduate by filling out an application for licensure form. If you apply within the first six months of graduation, you may be eligible for PEO’s Financial Credit Program where you can have the cost of your application fee and first year of enrolment in the Engineering Intern (EIT) program credited towards payment of your registration and initial P.Eng. licence fees once you have been approved for a licence.